Tuesday, October 7, 2008

All Dogs Go to Heaven and Some Cats Go Elsewhere

Yesterday a family brought in a rickety old lumpy dog. The girl at the front desk brought the dog back and put it in one of the kennels in the treatment area. I could tell the dog was old and by everyones reactions I knew the dog was going to be euthanized. They said the family had a little party with family and friends the night before to say goodbye to the old dog. I was mopping when they put him on the treatment table. I went in to watch and observe(and probably annoy the Dr. and tech's with the zillion questions I had). We petted him as the Dr. shaved part of his leg where the injection would be made. She made the injection and within seconds, he slipped off into eternity. I was amazed at how fast it worked. It was such a humane way to go. The Dr. showed me the lumps in the stomach. They were several tumors. I was surprised at how emotional it was. I had to leave the room and keep mopping so I didn't cry(especially in front of all the woman staff I work with. Come on guys I'm a man!!) I thought of our old dog Pepper who also had such a worn out body and was euthanized a while back. It must have been hard.
On a lighter note, some people brought in a stray cat they found. If there were a word for female cat to replace the inappropriate word for female dog-THATS what i would have called it. I had to hold the feet and the tech held the mane and front legs while the Dr. inspected the cat. We didn't do much holding though. It was more like complete restraint. The cat was NOT happy and throwing her paws around, not as concerned for our well being as we were(or at least the Dr was) for her's. I got three good puncture marks in the hand, while later on miss kitty grabbed ahold of the techs arm with its claws. Anyways, they found three gashes in the cats back, prolly from another cat. Puss and blood came out and they sewed it up.
I LIKE MY JOB

1 comment:

{Marie Long} said...

You almost cried...what a softy. :)